Monday 28 March 2011

Wedding Fairs; Your thoughts

Having just recently organised a wedding fair in Exeter, I am now looking whether it is best to have another one in September or just leave it at once a year at this particular venue. 


Feedback from the suppliers who attended has been to have another one at the start of the wedding fair season in September which is fantastic. 






After compiling a list of all the local wedding fairs throughout the year, nearly every venue seems to be holding their own style of wedding fair - whether its an extravagant show or just an open evening. 


We have a few major fairs that take place over the entire weekend and others just on a Sunday - amazingly there were four on the same date in a close vicinity to each other! 






As a supplier myself, I only advertise at certain fairs and do not always find them very beneficial. Having said that I got a few bookings out of my last one so it depends on who is there on the day. So I am also now debating which, if any, I should advertise at this year.


When organising a fair, the most important thing is the advertising - it is hugely expensive to do but that is the only way to guarantee brides and the "right" brides for my suppliers.






Thankfully a lot of my suppliers took bookings or good leads to follow up on which makes all the hardwood worthwhile. 


So I thought I would ask your opinions on wedding fairs - whether you are a bride or supplier - I would appreciate your thoughts.





Do you think there are too many wedding fairs around now? Or can there be too many?

What draws you to a certain fair - is it knowing how it is advertised or as a bride knowing that a particular supplier will be there?

How do you decide which one as a supplier to advertise at?


Thank you for your time x
Claire







2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    As a supplier I find wedding fayres a really good opportunity to not only sell my products but also chat with couples (market research) and network with other suppliers.

    I would agree with you, advertising is so important as if the fayre is not well attended then you put people off exhibiting again.

    From feedback from brides, they find it important to have a good mix of exhibitors so they have choice and also the option of comparision.

    Anna
    Cardiff Invitations
    www.cardiffinvitations.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I was really sorry i couldn't make the fair at the lodge. It sounds as though it was really well received.
    I do find fairs useful as Anna said, for meeting brides, networking and getting a feel for whats going on in the trade. But yes, advertising is really important.
    I have found in the past that small fairs i've done, with little advertising, have only yeilded one or two budget jobs, and barely even made back the entry fee. Whereas a really big fair that i paid out (only double) for with loads of advertisment, gave me 6 large jobs at full top quality prices and dozens of enquiries.

    I don't think when matters, september would be good and i'd be interested in joining you...but for it to be worthwhile it has to be promotion, promotion, promotion.

    Lovely website by the way. And enjoy you on twitter.

    Sam
    www.samaspdendesigns.com

    ReplyDelete